It’s important to take your time choosing a name for your electrical business. A great name inspires confidence and trust. It helps customers remember you and your services. Your name is closely tied to building the best reputation locally and online. In this guide, we show you how to name an electrical business the right way.
The Best Names for an Electrical Business
The best electrical company names are simple, catchy and professional. As part of the registration process for an electrician business, always check your state’s website for the Secretary of State to verify the name you want isn’t taken.
How To Name an Electrical Company
Choosing your company’s name comes early in the startup process. Follow these steps:
1. Establish Your Business Plan, Target Audience and Primary Services
Your business plan gives you a good idea of what kind of services you plan on offering. An electrician performing repairs and installation for homeowners may choose a different name than one focusing mainly on commercial clients.
Write down as many names as you can, including ideas you find online and suggestions from friends or family. Afterward, narrow the list to five or 10 favorite names.
3. Look for Similar Brand Names on the Internet
Once you have a smaller list, search for the names online to see if they’re “taken.” In case you’re wondering, there’s nothing wrong with using the same name as another electrical business, as long as it’s from a different state.
4. Make Sure the Name Isn’t Protected by a U.S. Trademark
Visit the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office’s website to make sure names aren’t trademarked. Searching the USPTO trademark database doesn’t take long, and it can help you avoid legal headaches down the road.
5. Check The Secretary of State’s Website
A key step in the registration process for an electrical business name is to visit the website of the secretary of state. Businesses aren’t allowed to use the same name as another company in the state. Every state also has specific naming requirements and prohibitions you need to follow.
After checking the availability of your preferred business name, you’re ready for the final step. The same secretary of state portal generally allows you to register your company’s name online.
Just starting an electrical contracting company? Be sure to check out our Directory of Electrical Contractor License Requirements by State.
Common Business Naming Mistakes To Avoid
Your business should be memorable, but not in a bad way. Knowing how to name an electrical business means avoiding these mistakes:
- Names that are hard to spell: These days, many customers look for businesses online. The last thing you want is for clients to have trouble searching for your company because they misspell the name.
- Prohibited words for businesses in your state: Racist, derogatory or erotic names are usually against the rules. In some places, it’s against the law to use titles such as “doctor” unless you’re a doctor. In New York, only financial services companies can use the word “trust.”
- Confusing ideas: Don’t make potential customers scratch their heads about what you do for a living. “The Daily Wire” wouldn’t be a good name for an electrician because it’s too vague. Customers may think you write news articles or offer internet services.
- Trendy catchphrases or buzzwords: How will today’s tendencies sound in 10 years? Words such as turnkey and outside-the-box are worn out already.
- Similar names: “Quality Electric” wouldn’t be a good idea if there’s already a “Quality Plumbing” in your area. Your customers could think the two businesses are related, affecting you negatively if the other business gets a poor reputation.
How To Name an Electrical Business: Quick Tips
There’s more involved in the best electrical company names than catchy ideas. These pro tips can help:
- Think about your customers first: Great business names appeal to your target customer, telling them why you’re the perfect fit for their needs.
- Choose something related to your business: Build your reputation more quickly by selecting a name that emphasizes your work expertise, such as “Intelligent Electrical Solutions.”
- Give yourself room to grow: “Smart Home Wiring” is catchy, but may end up limiting you. What if you decide to branch out from residential services to include commercial work? The most profitable electrical work isn’t always what you expect at first.
- Think about geographic names: Geographical names have pros and cons. They make your business feel more approachable, but they also limit growth. “Phoenix Electrical” may have a disadvantage in getting customers in Tucson, Flagstaff or Chandler.
- Keep it short: Short names are easier to remember and spell. “Pro Electric Inspect” is simpler to recall than “Professional Electrical Installation & Inspection Corporation.”
Name Ideas of Existing Electrical Companies
There’s nothing wrong with getting inspired by existing companies. The following companies know how to name an electrical business effectively.
Electrician On Call
This Dallas, TX business name works well by highlighting 24/7 service. It’s friendly yet professional.
Light It Up Electric
A laid-back name such as Light It Up feels down to earth and easy to remember. It’s perfect for helping homeowners with remodels, repairs and new construction.
Short and sweet, this name implies expertise, commitment and seriousness. From the start, clients know they can trust this company.
Advanced Electric of North Florida
This is geographic naming done right. The name covers a wide range of cities instead of just one.
Crossland Management & Electric, Inc.
The word “management” sets this business apart from other NYC electricians. These electricians do more than install, they also oversee large projects from beginning to end.
Electrical Business Name Ideas You Can Steal
Think of a word that sums up your core values. Then, check a thesaurus for powerful synonyms. Here are some electrical business names you can steal:
- Complete Electrical Services
- Best Value Electrical
- Expertise Electricians
- Comprehensive Electrical
- Strong Power
- Premium Electrical Contractors
- Precision Electric
- Electric Checkup
- Electrical Excellence
- Trust Quality Electric
- Call Us Electrical
- Brighter Electric (or Bright Electrical)
Funny Electrical Company Names
When dealing with homeowners, funny electrical company names can be friendly, positive and easy to remember:
- Watts Up Doc
- Electrical ReVolt
- All Wired Up
- Solar Bears
- More Power 2U
- Shocking Electrical Services
- We Conduit Better
- The Surge Protectors
- New Spark Wiring
- DC Pros
Some last names offer opportunities for plays on words, such as Moore Power, Knight Light or Mr. Watts. Just remember to stay professional.