As a professional handyman, you’re responsible for finding your own customers and work. If you can’t identify customers who need your services, your business is not likely to succeed.
However, it may be a challenge to gain exposure in your community and locate useful resources that allow you to advertise your services. Whether you’re just starting out in the field or you’ve been a handyman for years, the following strategies can help you generate new business and grow your customer base.
Online job boards, such as Craigslist or Indeed, can be helpful resources for job seekers but handymen may have a hard time finding freelance work on these sites. There are several other online job boards that are specifically designed to help those in the service field, including handymen, find work. Some of the most useful ones include the following:
- HomeAdvisor: While this site mainly focuses on contractor-based projects, there are many jobs posted that handymen can easily accomplish.
- Thumbtack: Both small and large home improvement projects are listed on this site, allowing handymen to bid on work and grow their client base.
- Porch: Handymen registered on Porch are provided with leads from homeowners who need projects completed, such as home repairs or improvements.
In addition to online job boards, there are numerous mobile apps focused on helping handymen find work in their area. Some of the most helpful apps for finding handyman jobs include the following:
- Handy: The Handy app connects homeowners with service workers and, as a pro, you can find handyman jobs using the app. Download the free iOs or Android version and set up a profile to begin searching for jobs and advertising your business. While it’s free to use, customers are charged a percentage of your rate when you complete a job.
- Houzz: Homeowners head to the Houzz site when they have home improvement projects that require professionals, such as painting, light installation, or bathroom remodeling. Download the Android or iOs app and create a professional profile to be included in your local handyman directory. Depending on the plan you choose, you may pay between $65 and $999 per month as a Houzz professional.
- TaskRabbit: This site offers a list of freelance labor jobs, such as hanging a television or fixing a toilet, that qualified handymen can claim and complete for local residents. Download the Android or iOs version for free and create a profile. Bid on one-off projects and receive payment using your preferred payment method.
Making connections with contractors and other handymen in your area may also be beneficial if you’re focused on growing your business. Other industry professionals may be able to provide useful leads for potential new customers. If they’re too busy or have customer leads for projects they don’t feel comfortable helping with, these connections may refer this business to you.
Look into handymen associations in your area that may host networking events. When you attend these local events, you’re likely to make the contacts you need to grow your business and get in touch with additional potential clients.
Social media has changed the way most industries do business and connect with their customers. Since customers are more comfortable and likely to use social media as a way to find handymen in the area, you can use these platforms as resources for finding work. When you interact with potential clients on multiple platforms, you’re more likely to find additional work opportunities and grow your business.
On Facebook, you can create a business page for your handyman company. Post useful information to engage your followers. You may also buy targeted ads to promote your business page and grow your following with local homeowners.
When you join neighborhood groups on Facebook, you may also find it easier to connect with local residents who need jobs completed. Respond to these residents with your contact information and these potential customers may reach out for assistance.
LinkedIn is a social media platform dedicated to professional interactions. When you create a LinkedIn page for your handyman business and begin posting about your services, you may be able to connect with Realtors, home investors, and other potential repeat clients. Pay attention to your followers’ needs and if you see a posting asking for help on a project you’re qualified for, be sure to respond promptly.
Create a personal or business profile on Nextdoor.com and join several different neighborhood groups in your area. Take the time to browse through these groups regularly because users are likely to post when they need assistance with home improvement projects.
It’s free to create a profile and post about your business in groups but you may also pay to create a sponsored post through the Nextdoor paid advertising program. The price for your ad varies, depending on your target groups and the type of ad you choose.
Bidding For Jobs
Once you’ve found a job, you may be required to bid for it before you’re hired. Independent handymen with general contractor licenses or other types of specialty licenses may need to submit bids for these jobs so customers can compare costs and services between companies.
Before submitting a job bid, you may need to contact the customer to learn about project specifics so you can personalize your bid. You may be required to prove you have contractor insurance or bonds when submitting your bid. This ensures you can adequately protect your project throughout each phase.
Calculate the cost of materials and labor accurately and provide professional references within the bid. After you’ve submitted a detailed bid, consider contacting the potential customer to see if they have any questions or would like to meet in person to discuss the project further.
As a handyman, finding new customers is a crucial component to the success of your business. With these strategies and resources, you can work to increase your revenue, grow your client base, and build a solid reputation with local homeowners.