Did you know that you only have seven seconds to make a good first impression with potential customers online? When people search for heating, ventilation, air-conditioning or refrigeration services, your business name needs to stand out from the crowd. How can you choose a good name for an HVAC company, one that helps you build a strong reputation?
How To Name an HVAC-R Company
Your business name should highlight in a few words why you’re the best choice for HVAC services. Selecting a good name for an HVAC company means thinking about your customers and business advantages. The best business names are short, clear, attention-grabbing and professional. Avoid generic or confusing words. To register HVAC company names, you need to visit the website of your secretary of state.
Name Ideas of Existing HVAC Companies
Instead of giving you a long list of rules to follow when naming your business, it’s easier for us to show you. We took the time to search real HVAC business names for the good, the bad and the funny.
Good HVAC Company Names
A good name for an HVAC company is easy to understand, positive and professional. It should highlight your expertise and have at least one thing that makes you different:
- Climate Control: This business name is simple, friendly and easy for everyday customers to remember, from homeowners to small business owners.
- Superior Heating & Air Conditioning: The word superior makes the business seem more experienced and trustworthy. Even before knowing anything else, many visitors would gravitate toward this option.
- iComfort Heating and Air Conditioning: By simply adding the lowercase “i” in iComfort, this brand shows that they offer high-tech solutions. This name is short and catchy.
- Polar Express Air Conditioning & Heating: The name “Polar Express” combines two powerful ideas: speed and amazing cooling. It makes a strong impression, and the concept makes for great brand artwork.
- Fuse HVAC, Refrigeration, Electrical & Plumbing: Even though this name is longer, it contains vital information. Residential and commercial clients learn that this HVAC company offers complete solutions and certified contractors for any project.
Bad Names for an HVAC Business
Most of these companies made our “bad” list even though they have excellent reputations. The problem is that new customers are likely to be confused by the business name. Here’s what not to do with HVAC company names:
- Precision Mechanical: “Precision” is excellent for refrigeration company names, but “mechanical” is vague and confusing. “Precision Heating and Cooling” would be a better choice.
- Howe, Inc.: A client seeing this name wouldn’t have any idea what services the company offers.
- Best New York HVAC Repair: This isn’t a bad name, but it limits the business. What if the company decides to branch out to commercial installation or refrigeration systems?
- 212 HVAC: We like the way 212 HVAC rolls off the tongue, but the name isn’t the best for everyday consumers. Don’t take for granted that your average homeowner will know what HVAC stands for.
- Vermont Energy Contracting: This name is downright terrible. Many people would think of an electricity utility company, not a home HVAC installer.
- Grasshopper Heating & Cooling: The word “grasshopper” is unique, but it doesn’t relate to HVAC. Choose names that connect your business with the solutions your clients want.
Funny HVAC Company Names
There’s nothing wrong with funny HVAC company names if you deal mainly with residential customers. On the other hand, commercial clients may expect a serious, professional tone. Here are our favorite humorous HVAC company names:
- Mister Freeze
- Chill Bro
- Just Venting
- Air Heads HVAC
- Duct Call
- Air Supplies
- Snow Place Like Home
- Chilly Dogs
- Jumpin’ Jack Frost
- Frosty the AC Man
- Cool AZ Cucumber
- Comfort Zone HVAC
- The Ice King
Essential Steps for Refrigeration Company Names
Considering how important your business’s name is, it’s smart to take sufficient time for investigation. Here are several important steps:
- Check for naming regulations in your state: Every state has business naming restrictions, and some states are stricter than others. For example, in California, company names have to use the English alphabet and can’t contain accent marks or strange symbols. They can’t imply government affiliation or mislead the public.
- Make sure your favorite names aren’t taken: Most states prohibit corporations, limited liability companies and limited partnerships from having the same name as another business. This applies on a state level, not a national level. The secretary of state’s website in your state shows you names that are taken.
- Take a quick look at the USPTO trademark database: Larger businesses may apply for a federal trademark for their business name, product names, logos and other branding. You should briefly check for registered names on the United States Patent and Trademark Office to avoid potential legal hassles.
Registering a business name generally means applying for it on the secretary of state’s website. Our state-specific HVAC small business guides can help you with other steps to get your HVAC-R business started smoothly.
DBA, LLC or Corporation
DBAs are also known as trade names, fictitious business names or assumed names. For a sole proprietorship, your legal name as a business owner is the real identity of your business. You can register a DBA to advertise your business with a different name, such as “Green Cooling” instead of “Tom Warner HVAC.”
The key difference is that in many places, DBAs aren’t protected by any state or county trademarks. Things are different if you set up your company as an LLC, limited partnership or corporation. Many states register these business names as protected trademarks.
HVAC Business Name Ideas You Can Steal
If you’re looking for a good name for an HVAC company, you’ve come to the right place:
- Unlimited Commercial & Residential HVAC
- [Region Abbreviation] Expert Heating & Refrigeration
- Mr. Cool Expert HVAC
- Comprehensive Home Heating & Cooling
- Hot and Cold Air Pros
- Fast Simple Air Conditioning Co.
- Cozy Family Heating & Air Conditioning
- Maximum Comfort HVAC Services
- 365 Complete AC
- Cool Breeze Heating & Cooling
- Perfect Summer Air Conditioning
- Let There Be Air Conditioning
Highlighting your company’s expertise, services and main qualities makes a big difference. Geographic names can help make you feel warm and approachable, but you should use an area instead of a single city so you appeal to more customers.
How To Name an Electrical Business (Name Ideas Included)
Funny Plumbing Company Names (5 Real and 5 You Can Steal)